Did you know nearly a third of Australians risk household fires by not removing the lint from their clothes dryer?1 Lint can restrict the outflow of heated air, causing your dryer to become overheated. Clean the inside of your clothes dryer and remove built-up lint regularly. If you plan on leaving the house, make sure you turn your dryer off every time.
Electrical power boards
Proper use of electrical powerboards is an important part of home fire safety. Never overload your powerboards with multiple appliances. Fire and Rescue NSW recommends only using powerboards with built-in safety switches and circuit breakers.
Household chemical safety
Chemicals used for cleaning can be highly toxic and flammable when mixed. Make sure you read the labels on any supplies you own and keep them locked away from children and pets. As part of your home fire safety plan, never mix chemicals and always dispose of them responsibly.
Your oil and gas heaters may be due for a maintenance check. A regular maintenance check will ensure that they are in good condition, efficient and safe. Heaters that aren’t maintained are not only a potential fire hazard, they make for a costly energy bill, too.
If you’re using candles for light or aesthetics around your home, never leave them unattended or near flammable objects or materials. Avoid placing candles next to curtains or on tables sitting above carpets. Always put candles on a secure base to reduce the chance of knocking them over.
Changing the battery and cleaning the alarm regularly can be a very effective way to protect your family and home from fire danger. If you are renting, in most cases, it’s your responsibility to clean, test, and replace batteries while it is the landlord’s responsibility to supply and install a working smoke alarm.
In the event of a fire, the last thing you want is flammable dry leaves and grass around. Leaves can accumulate in gutters and around the edges of your garden when not regularly cleared out, especially if you have trees that shed leaves in winter.2